Yes, we have 3 different advent calendars (and I found them all at Target). I got this one after Thanksgiving this year.
I put a small ornament in each spot. Every night Paul would help Sophie add that day's ornament to the mini tree in her room. Some of the ornaments I already, some I found this year, although finding ones small enough to fit inside was hard.
My sister has a stocking for her son that has a pocket on it that she was going to hang in his room. I liked that idea and then I found this advent countdown stocking.
So every night I would put a treat in the stocking for Sophie.
The first treat was this book called "I Can't Wait Until Christmas" where Big Bird does a different activity each week waiting for his Granny to come for Christmas.
And finally, I had a small banner calendar that I got last year. Sorry no picture, but it's made of felt with tiny numbered pockets, just big enough for a slip of paper. So for this one, I wrote down different activities for us to do each day. Sometimes the treat in the advent stocking would coordinate with the activity for the day. Below is a list of the activities (in no particular order) with some pictures.
- Drive through the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights.
- Use your nose to sniff out the holiday scents.
- Put decorations on every door in the house.
- Dress festively from head to toe.
- Read a Christmas story with a grandparent.
- Make gifts for the teachers.
- Watch Charlie Brown Christmas movie.
- Choose an angel from the Angle tree.
- Decorate a gingerbread house.
- Play with snow.
- Send a holiday greeting to someone in the armed forces.
- Create homemade cards to give to the grandparents.
- Take donations to Prairie Paws Animal Shelter.
- Visit a tree lot to see a real tree.
- rite letter to Santa.
- Hang your ornament on the tree. (The ornament was her treat for the day.)
- Create a snow scape with whipped cream.
- Visit Santa.
- Sing "Happy Birthday" to the Baby Jesus. (This was on the day we had the birthday party for Jesus at preschool.)
- Put out reindeer food.
- Take the Labor & Delivery nurses at the hospital a special treat. (We did this on her 7 month birthday.)
- Attend a tree lighting.
- Make an ornament to give to someone special. We actually made a door hanger for Pastor Mike who was in the hospital.
- Read a favorite Christmas book.